Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> The programs I particularly do not want running at every login are
> apache and mysql. Can anyone remind me please, how to stop a program
> from starting up at login?

Usually Apache and MySQL start at boot, not at login.

Typically you remove the links from the current run level directory...

Find runlevel with "runlevel" command.

# runlevel
N 3

~# ls /etc/rc3.d
K11anacron            S20bittorrent         S20ssh           S89anacron
README                S20cupsys             S20stunnel4      S89atd
S10sysklogd           S20dbus               S20sysstat       S89cron

Removing the relevant "S..." links with "rm" isn't recommended, use the
command for your distro, as that will do it right.

Debian's tool is "update-rc.d", Redhat use to have an "ntsysv" but that
might have changed by now.

GUI-wise GNOME has an "Services" menu under Administration for this, I'm
sure KDE has similar, but I find the GUI for these things more confusing
that just using the command line tools, and shell access.

Things that run at "login" (rather than boot time), are typically run by
the Window manager's "session manager", in GNOME that is controlled via
"Administration", "Preferences", "Sessions", which since it is more
typical desktop things, GNOME does a better job of managing than boot
time services. Again KDE has a similar tool, as do most Window managers.