Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 12:55:45 +0100
> Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> I'd recommend learning PHP the better way: get a PHP book and use the
>> standard packages that have had the bugs removed.
>>
> As one Neil to another, thanks for all your help. I take your advice to
> heart.
>
> I have my own web-site which includes mysql (v4.1.20) , php (v5.0.4) and
> apache (v2.0.55). (These are updated about twice a year, so the actual
> versions could have moved on since I last looked.)

I'm assuming that means that it's hosted on someone else's server.

> I have been working
> with HTML and CSS and now I would like to learn PHP. I have quite a lot
> of programming experience (starting with Basic, but we won't talk about
> that!), the most recent being Python.

> I also have all three programs on my own computer (running Kubuntu
> Edgy). At the moment I have not worked out if it is possible to test
> any php files which I create, on my own computer. So I upload them  to
> my web site and test them there. Well that's OK if there is no other
> way.

It should work already- all you need to do is install apache, mysql and
php, enable php in apache (possibly already done), enable mysql in php
(probably already done) start apache and mysql and voila!

> I realise that I could do with a good book on PHP, but easier said than
> done. There are so many around, and I am just confused about which to
> choose. If you have any recommendations, I would be very pleased to
> hear them.

The w3c php tutorial is very good I thought, especially if you already
know about HTML and general programming.