[LUG] Programs which start on login

I know that there are programs that start at login. What I cannot
remember is how to remove one so that it does not start until I enter
the relevant command in a terminal screen.

The programs I particularly do not want running at every login are
apache and mysql. Can anyone remind me please, how to stop a program
from starting up at login? I have managed to stop them for this
session, but it would obviously be easier to not start them in the
first place.

(Kubuntu Edgy).

Neil Winchurst