Re: [LUG] [OT] FreeBSD and OpenSolaris

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 15:25:56 +0100
> Anton Channing <achanning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What are their advantages and disadvantages
>> over using Linux distros?
>
> Generally, new hardware tends to be supported in the Linux kernel first.
>
> Don't forget, there is also the GNU Hurd kernel - again with an
> unofficial port in Debian.

Yes, GNU Hurd is something I've been excited
about since I first hurd of it.  I'm not really
prepared to mess around with my main PC, but
I would like to experiment next time I have
a spare machine to mess around with.  I usually
end up taking an old machine off someones hands
in the end... :)

>> Are their open
>> source licenses 'less open' than Linux?
>
> YES. open source != free software.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

I suspected as much.  I just hadn't looked
into where FreeBSD and OpenSolaris fit with
that.

I think I got sold on the Free Software side
of the fence when I read the bit about
'Open Source DRM'.

> Always ensure you have a free software OS, not just an open source OS.
> Open Source includes licences that infringe on your freedom, limit your
> ability to share, reduce the opportunity to reuse code and can expose
> you to unnecessary legal risks - including forcing you to pay up to
> "compensate" certain open source companies.
>
> All free software is open source but the reverse is NOT true.
> Some open source software can actually be considered proprietary.
>
> Debian non-free (and Ubuntu restricted) are all open source but none of
> those are actually free.
>
> Don't surrender your freedom!
>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> Next time I get a spare PC to mess around
>> with I might perform some experiments with
>> these and various Linux distros.
>
> I experimented with lots of variants before settling on Debian and I
> would recommend everyone to do the same. Whatever you do, do not stay
> on the first GNU/Linux distro you installed. Few distributions can
> survive the learning curve from newbie to intermediate or experienced
> user. Whatever you choose at the start, you are very likely to outgrow
> it eventually.

I am on my fourth distro already.  And it does
everything I want (except do my dishes, but then
I haven't found any kind software that will make
my PC do that for me).

I'm on ubuntu at the moment.  My previous was
Sarge.  So I might go back to Debian at some
point, since they have obviously moved on since
then.  In the mean time, Ubuntu Feisty Fawn has
been a lot easier to set up than Sarge was.

Anton