Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

I think it's pretty simple, and the "extra" buttons give beginners the chance to learn what they do.  I also reckon it can be simplified very effectively by not making the login the front end, but a page with a link to the login along with instructions (with screenshots) that explains what everything is about.  Trouble is, many people don't like to read, but prefer to be spoon-fed - and a huge proportion just want things to work, and don't really care how or why something works.

Typical phone support conversation:

user - "what do I do now, keep hitting next?"
support - "what does the window say?"
user - "back or next"
support - "the actual writing in the window that's telling you very specifically what's going on and what to do"
user - "i don't know"
support - <sigh>"just hit next"...