Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

Tom Brough wrote:

> So are we too technical for our own good ?

Some answers are always going to be fairly technical - just as the
discussion would get technical if you asked why your computer running XP
was running slow, and I asked if the IDE bus was now in PIO mode.

> Can we provide facilities that are less threatening to new / less
> technical users ?

I think the issue is also did your mother have any problems, did she ask
any questions, and did she understand the answers to her problems? Was
it easier for her just to get Tom to fix it? Most people don't want to
know how their computer works, beyond what is necessary to do their
immediate tasks, and they might pop in for help, but they won't hang
around longer than it takes to get an answer, and find the unsubscribe
details.

Did you have any ideas for easier facilities? I could see easier chat
forums (IRC is fairly hostile environment). Web forums are also easier
to get started with than mailing lists, but I think mailing lists tend
to retain people more, and generate a better community.

As for real world meeting, I think we could do better, but it takes time
and effort, and at the moment I don't have much of either spare.