Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

> in this case level of difficulty is a subjective term.. the 'old hands'
> may find something easy and possibly not realise the complexity?

I agree  here,  I have found in  the past I have solved quite a few
problems and written solutions, however I have solved it by drawing on
past experience,  so I have understood what being done,  for example If
I asked how to make something executable after compiling someone may say
chmod +x filename or chmod 755 filename,   which is a solution,  it
works,  but it may not help me understand things any better,  which long
term you end up doing stuff with wobbly foundations and underpinning
knowledge,  which could cause more problems.

not sure if this is very clear.  The solution is easy here,  however the
theory behind file permissions is a little more complex,  esp when you
start to  ask who is the user, group, and other.  and how does this
relate to  a system,   this is harder to explain by e-mail,  a little
easier over irc,  but one 2 one at a meeting, with a pen / paper makes
life  far easier and allows someone to ask a question and get an
answer,  plus the person who is teaching you can give an example to test
your understanding.

It also  depends if the end user, is a good learner by reading, or a
audible learner or a kinesetic learner,  (the latter would apply to the
above example), taking different learning styles into account, is
important,  and can affect how you explain something.

Paul

--
Events

Linuxbierwanderung - Torbay Mini Linux Beer Hike
28th / 29th July 2007
http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/
Follow torbay mini LBW link.

http://www.openoffice.org