Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:40:20AM +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >I persuaded my mother to subscribe to this mailgroup, which she managed
> >to do without my assistance ....  but within two weeks she decided that
> >she could not follow any of the discussions,  and was too afraid to post
> >questions. I was saddened by her account, but understood fully where she
> >was comming from.
> >
> >So are we too technical for our own good ?
> >Can we provide facilities that are less threatening to new / less
> >technical users ?
> >

> I agree with your mother.  About 80% are too technical for me and of the
> remaining 20% most are political in content with perhaps 4% being within my
> technical competance.  Your Mother may be like me and not want to move too
> far technically - perhaps half-a-dozen useful packages relevant to one's
> needs.  Robin

Yes,
-   a lot of the content is far too technical for ME
-   a lot of the content has no meaning for ME

As to being afraid to ask questions: yes I can understand that. But because
others have taken the time to reply to my questions I have learned. And to
be honest I would prefer to learn from people who know what they are
talking about; and if the price for that is that most of the discussions
are way over my head; so be it.

I have read a lot of stuff about how experts have derided "newbies'"
questions. Here I have found that people are polite and helpful and I would
encourage your mother to ask.

--
Henry
Thu May 10 10:28:37 BST 2007