Re: [LUG] HTML and tabs

On Sat, 5 May 2007 20:59:08 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Incidentally the book where I read that also gave a work-around using
> > javascript, using an existing script.
>
> Don't use javascript either - it impairs accessibility. I think you
> should consider getting a better book. ;-)
>
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_doc/library.php?filter=2&terms=web+design#book8
>
> work-around == hack, don't use them. Do it properly.
>
> Javascript has a limited role even in strict HTML4 - it is NOT suitable
> as a work-around for bad HTML.

Are you saying that it is not worth the effort to learn javascript at
all? I thought it could be quite useful for some things.

> http://www.codehelp.co.uk/html/css.html

I have bookmarked this.

> HTML is usually done very, very badly. That is no excuse for writing
> new sites that use deprecated tags or dirty-hack workarounds. All HTML
> should validate and should aim to be strict HTML4 where possible.

Agreed. I have been trying to learn HTML for a while now and I have
seen some awful code around. I do plan to make my coding as good as I
possibly can.

Thanks for your help

Neil