Re: [LUG] HTML and tabs

On Fri, 4 May 2007 20:21:35 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So this is a local file or a page on an internet-visible website?

This is my own personal website, which can be viewed by anyone on the
internet.

> If it's for your own use, why not click the link with the middle mouse
> button. That will load the linked page in a new tab and doesn't require
> any changes to the code. You can use that on any link and in (almost)
> any modern GUI browser.

That is what I do.

> > That is why I asked the question in the first place. I have added the
> > target= bit on all of the links, not because I expect anyone to open
> > several at once, but so that, whichever link is opened, it will be in a
> > new tab and it will be easy to return to the home page.
>
> It will annoy the hell out of most other users. If this page is to be
> visible to anyone except you then PLEASE DON'T DO IT. :-)
>
> Let the user control their tabs - if that user can only ever be you,
> fine, but consider that using the middle mouse button is a far more
> elegant and versatile solution.

Following your advice and that of other members I have removed all the
target= tabs. Now it is up to the users to decide if they want to open
in a new tab or not. Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply.

Neil Winchurst