Re: [LUG] HTML and tabs

On Fri, 04 May 2007 08:26:04 +0100
Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > Have you considered that visitors to your site might not want to have 5
> > tabs just from your one site? This is why tabs are not directly under
> > the control of the website - they are a *user* feature and should not
> > be abused in this way.
> >
> > Just because you can does NOT mean you should. This 5 tab approach might
> > look cool to you now will look tacky and amatuerish to many.
>
> I second that. Also, when coding pages, do not think about tabs. If the
> link is not suitable for opening in a new window then it's not suitable
> for opening in a new tab. Tabs = windows as far as the web designer is
> concerned, since all browsers handle it themselves. Do not use
> javascript or java or any other code to force it to open in a new tab
> rather than a new window- that is the users option not yours.
>
> Simon

Thanks to you both, always ready to learn and to take advice.

I have set up my own index file to my website. It includes several
links to other sites that I have set up including a photo gallery, a
photo blog and an ordinary blog. I tested this out, of course, and this
is what I found.

As originally set up (that is without any "target=" included) if I
opened up one of the links from my home page it would *replace* my home
page on the screen. That is to say, the home page disappeared and the
new URL screen took its place, in the original tab. I could look at the
new page (perhaps the photos in my photoblog), but when I wanted to go
back to the home page, if I closed the tab it simply left me with a
blank screen.

When I included the target="new" in the link, that changed. Now when I
open my home page for my web site and then click on one of the links
that URL will open in a new tab. I can then look through the photos or
whatever and when I want to go back to the home page I just have to
close the new tab and I am back to my index page again.

That is why I asked the question in the first place. I have added the
target= bit on all of the links, not because I expect anyone to open
several at once, but so that, whichever link is opened, it will be in a
new tab and it will be easy to return to the home page.

I hope that is a better explanation of my reasoning. If either or both
of you feel that is still a bad way to go I am very happy to take
advice.

May thanks for your time

Neil Winchurst