Re: [LUG] HTML and tabs

On Fri, 4 May 2007 07:50:58 +0100
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for that help. Further to my last email...... I am using this
> idea in the home page for my web site. There are just five links to my
> other URLs at the moment (blog, gallery etc) so I tried this -
> the first link has target="new1", the second link has target="New2"
> and so on. When I tried this out using Firefox, Opera and Galeon it
> worked as I wanted. I have yet to test it with IE.

Have you considered that visitors to your site might not want to have 5
tabs just from your one site? This is why tabs are not directly under
the control of the website - they are a *user* feature and should not
be abused in this way.

It's fine to use target="" for pages that need to be in a separate
window - glossaries, definitions, terms and conditions, other content
that needs to be viewed at the same time as another page in order to
make that page more useful *to the visitor*. e.g. I often have a
WikiFormatting help page open when editing various wikis because,
unfortunately, they all differ. I would have a tab with a detailed view
of a build log when preparing a bug report arising from that failed
build. I would want the terms and conditions of some new service
available in a new tab rather than replacing the current web form that
I've spent the last 10 minutes completing.

Just because you can does NOT mean you should. This 5 tab approach might
look cool to you now will look tacky and amatuerish to many.

--

Neil Williams