Re: [LUG] Linux Distributions

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:41:18 +0100
"Robin Menneer" <robinmenneer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If you are happy then stay there... what distribution you choose
> > has I think a lot to do with personal preferences. As to why I
> > choose debian:
> > -   see www.debian.org/social_contract
> >
> I've just read this file (above) and am confused again, clearly debian
> is so wonderful that  I have been misled in getting ubuntu.  Help !

Ubuntu is very close to Debian - the majority of packages ARE Debian
packages and often with no changes.

The main differences are:
1. Ubuntu has different priorities for releases - 6 monthly, almost no
matter what.
 1a: because of this, they have to allow some serious bugs to remain in
the released code. You have to be happy with the much slower release
cycle in Debian - the last stable release was 3.1 (Sarge) that is two
years old. The benefit is the increased stability of the code in Debian
stable. The Debian Etch (4.0) release date has slipped by three months
already, a release is planned for 2nd April 2007 but that may slip
again. Release dates don't matter that much in Debian if you are using
Debian testing because that is updated every 10 days, outside of
freezes for a stable release. Debian Unstable is updated continuously,
updates can appear several times a day but breakages are surprisingly
rare and are generally fixed in a day or so. Debian unstable is usually
only a few days behind every upstream release of nearly all of the
19,000 packages, on 12 architectures. No distribution supports as many
packages on as many platforms as Debian - Fedora was something like 50%
or less last time I looked (some 8,000?), including Core and Extras,
and Fedora doesn't run on the same range of architectures as Debian.
That's why we call Debian The Universal OS. (See, I said I was biased.)

2. Ubuntu only support i386, amd64 and powerpc - the easy ones to
maintain and package. Debian supports those and arm, mips, mipsel,
m68k, sparc, alpha, hppa, ia64 and s390 and there is outline support
for other architectures and ports. These extra ports cause extra bugs
which delay Debian releases. Within Debian, I'm working on even wider
support, bringing Debian from mainframes and PC's to embedded devices
like iPAQ's and mobile phone PDA's and every possible machine in
between. I don't see any reason why anything with a CPU should not be
able to run Debian - even routers and digital TV boxes. You cannot do
that with Ubuntu. I want to move towards "If it has a CPU, it can have
Debian. Every architecture, every platform, any size." Nothing wrong
with that in my book.

3. Ubuntu has a slightly more relaxed approach to proprietary code -
although Debian includes non-free, it isn't as easy to install as
Ubuntu.

4. Ubuntu is easier for users migrating from other operating systems.
Overall, Ubuntu benefits from a smaller architecture set but also
requires a much faster release cycle. As a result, it looks better
immediately after an install, whereas Debian needs to be installed and
then updated. Ubuntu also has a reputation for better 'hand-holding'
during the install and 'first-day' experience. With Debian, you are in
at the deep end a bit. Thereagain, most Debian users prefer it that way.
:-)

--

Neil Williams