[LUG] Linux Distributions

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:32:00AM +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:

> I've just arrived into Ubuntu.  Why should I go to Debian - wot's in it for
> me ?  Why learn something new when I happy with Ubuntu ?

If you are happy then stay there... what distribution you choose has I
think a lot to do with personal preferences. As to why I choose debian:

-   Installing and removing software is easy
-   Keeping my system upto date is easy (cron-apt)
-   Lots of software choices
-   Lots of users
-   It runs very simply on my machine
-   see www.debian.org/social_contract

I have been tempted to try out other distributions, but have not so far.
Ones I have thought about are:
-   Gentoo (apparently it runs really quickly, what worries me is
    whether I could get it running and keep it upto date)
-   Ubuntu: but I don't like the heavy graphics. It is what I recommend
    to anyone else and I try and carry a version with me in case I need
    to log onto someone elses machine
-   Damn Small Linux. Would be fun
-   Fedora. To see how RedHat operates
-   Suse. Did not like the screen
-   freebsd. Not quite sure what it offers over debian
-   http://www.gnewsense.org/ Since this recent discussion. I would at
    least like to see what its like

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distributions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

I think everyone has opinions as to why they prefer their particular
sort of software, and I am very thankful to all of those people who have
allowed me the ability to choose.

--
Henry
Tue Mar 27 12:03:34 BST 2007