Re: [LUG] Linux Distributions

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:32:00AM +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:
>
>> I've just arrived into Ubuntu.  Why should I go to Debian - wot's in it for
>> me ?  Why learn something new when I happy with Ubuntu ?
>>

> If you are happy then stay there... what distribution you choose has I
> think a lot to do with personal preferences. As to why I choose debian:
>
> -   Installing and removing software is easy
> -   Keeping my system upto date is easy (cron-apt)
> -   Lots of software choices
> -   Lots of users
> -   It runs very simply on my machine
> -   see www.debian.org/social_contract

To hijack this away from Debian / Ubuntu slightly

I chose my first distro, Redhat, because of one reason - I knew someone
that I could ask for help (no prizes for guessing who).  Made a big
difference in my confidence for adopting Linux full time.  Tbh I think
that help and support is the best reason for adopting a flavour.  This
list seems to be mainly Debian or Ubuntu, so lacking other support
sticking with them seems sensible.

Since then I have been pretty much brand loyal, Fedora for my laptop and
CentOS for the servers.

But I stay with them because
- Installing and removing software is easy
- Keeping my system up to date is easy (yum)
- Lots of software choices
- Lots of users
- It runs very simple on my machines
- Erm, ok there is no social contract as far as I am aware.

Not that different then for the reasons for using debian! I probably
should add that familiarity is a big reason for sticking.

And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

> I have been tempted to try out other distributions, but have not so far.
> Ones I have thought about are:
> -   Gentoo (apparently it runs really quickly, what worries me is
>     whether I could get it running and keep it upto date)
> -   Ubuntu: but I don't like the heavy graphics. It is what I recommend
>     to anyone else and I try and carry a version with me in case I need
>     to log onto someone elses machine
> -   Damn Small Linux. Would be fun
> -   Fedora. To see how RedHat operates
> -   Suse. Did not like the screen
> -   freebsd. Not quite sure what it offers over debian
> -   http://www.gnewsense.org/ Since this recent discussion. I would at
>     least like to see what its like

My list of others tried / thought about are pretty similar

- Gentoo: tried because I wanted to learn more, gave up on because I
didn't really care enough to do so.  Fail to see what someone who just
wants to use a computer can get out of it.

- Ubuntu etc: I offered some support to a brand new linux user
installing it.  They found it fairly easy, but preferred installing
Fedora. Although wireless was so much easier on the former.  They pretty
much marked the two distros the same.

- Damn Small Linux: Fantastic value for 50mb.  Perfectly usable and
useful for recovering incapacitated computers.  Used it recently and
another 'never used linux' user was whizzing around on it in no time.
Have previously had hardware detection issues with a Dell laptop though.

- Debian: no experience, nor any real interest in.  Probably because I
can not see any advantage for leaving Fedora for it. Same goes for the
other standard "desktop" (generalisation, I know but you know which ones
I mean) brands.  Use CentOS in preference for servers because I know my
way around redhat.

- *bsd: no real experience, even less knowledge.  Purely academic
interest, and look where that got me with Gentoo.