Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Nothing wrong with that. I am not totaly against properity software to
> the extent others are. I do use in on linux, I have a tainted kernel.
> All i was saying was if there is a choice then try to use free. I am
> **not** saying *YOU MUST USE FREE*.
Apologies, my reply wasn't directed at you personally, yours happened to
be the one where I decided to chip in :)
>   In my case the open source nv
> driver does not do what i need so i use the nvidia version. At least
> they supply a driver even if its not GPL licenced. I think this is a
> big step for a company that they reconise the market is there.

Agreed.. I use it too :)
> Many manufactures are ignorant in that respect. They often ignore end
> users but you need to build a critical mass so they realise its worth
> there effot, that there a market out there. If no one makes any noise
> how to they know there is any demand?

Fair comment.
> Its a bit of both, they need to know that the linux userbase is
> increasing, if they *only* see more sales they think woopie more
> windows customers. If they get increasing complaints that people want
> a linux driver then eventualy it reaches a critical masss.
>
> Granted a lone letter will not do much, but isn't this the old "my
> little input will make no difference" if everybody thinks like that
> then it won't.

True but it does need everyone to make the effort, and so there can be
the trap of 'Well nobody else is bothering, why should I?' followed by
the 'my little input..' bit.
> I think you have to make a noise about this and say you want a native
> linux version.

Nero brought out a Linux version of their software.  While I *think*
it's still proprietary at least it's a step in the right direction.  I
think AVG did the same, and PowerDVD.
> Yes we need to encorage users to linux not preach to them and it is so
> dispondent when you set up a system and some of there HW doesn't work.
> It is necessary to explan some of the principles here so they know why
> it dosn't work.

The only problem there is that many of the users we are aiming at are
not technically minded.  They don't actually care *why* it doesn't work,
just that 'it doesn't and Windows does'.. so they'll trot off back to
Windows.  I was sorely tempted myself after the second occasion where
websites had (inadvertently) misled me into thinking my hardware would
work 'out of the box' when in fact it would not work at all in Linux.
> And there is often no choice. You want your 3d to work or you want
> your windows 3.1 lecagy app to run on wine etc yes use something
> properity if you must. But I will still say you can make a difference
> and contribute to the community to help this situation. This is part
> of the "open source" too, it can't all be take take take, you need to
> give back as well or there is no point to any of this.
Very true, and I do try when I can, if only to offer solutions from my
meagre knowledge if newbies have a problem I know about.  I put up a
webpage explaining how to get my old laptop working in Mandrake 10, and
later in Xandros.  Hopefully those will do their little bit.  I haven't
put the new one on Linux yet as I'm too bogged down in Uni assignments
to spare the time.  Over the summer I may well get round to it.

Kind regards,

Julian