Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 26/03/07, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
> > I am over my head here,  I don't agree that we  have failed just because
> > someone uses proprietary code,   the more people we can get using
> > Linux,  the more people we can hopefully get to campaign for better open
> > support by  vendors.
>
> What's the goal? The goal of GNU/Linux is to create a free
> software operating system. People might always use proprietary
> software, but we should not advocate, support or encourage it. To
> do so sends the wrong message.

You want to check that with Linus - he created a working operating
system, where the FSF failed (although I think you can almost use
GNU/Herd now).

> > We need to educate there is an alternative,  and that the alternative is
> > usable by users,   while at the same time teach the ethos of free
> > software,   getting someone to switch from Windows to Linux should be
> > seen as an achivement,  lets help people,  it will take time but take it
> > one step at a time,
>
> If people switch to GNU/Linux, that's a good thing, but if people
> switch over to run a bunch of proprietary software, because
> people seem to think it's okay, then we're failing.

No. *We* are not failing at all. *You* might be.

> The goal is not to get more people to stop using Windows just to run the same
> non-free software on GNU/Linux.

I don't really care about people running windows any more to be
honest, as long as they stop bothering me because of bugs in IE or
asking for help when it crashes.

> > I think free and propritary can exist side by side,  on the same
> > system,
>
> Why? Do you not value your freedom? What proprietary software do
> you run on your system?

Yup - I value my freedom and put my money where my mouth is by writing
and supporting free software and organising talks and meetings, oh and
starting this LUG with alex - did I already mention that?

> > lets not put uses off by saying "can't do that its against the
> > free software ethos, ) if you do they may simply give up,   and if they
> > do We really have failed.
>
> You think we should just support proprietary software? How is
> that in anyway supporting our goal of free software? We're not
> going say people can't do things, but we should refuse to help.

Nonsense. I'm happy to help - whether it's getting FF working on 'doze
or flash 8 on linux.

> > Regarding pdf,  that is a very useful format,  even the Ldp uses it for
> > documents,   surely we can be a little flexible on this.
>
> PDF isn't in question. Adobe Acrobat is what I'm asking about.
> There's a non-free Acrobat Reader for GNU/Linux - should we
> encourage everyone to install that?

It's usually already installed - heck I have both installed, and I use
both - some documents are quicker and easier to read that others in
each.

A.
--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk