Re: [LUG] RxTx on Ubuntu

On 3/26/07, Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (I am having no luck in selecting my serial port from a java application).
>
> On Friday 23 March 2007 12:47, Simon Waters wrote:
>
> > On Debian all you need to control ttyS0 is for the relevant users to be
> > in group dialout.
>
> Hi Simon
>
> I am a member of both dialout and uucp.  I think this is a bit relevant to the
> long running thread on "other matters".   Unfortunately I can get no answer
> on this question, I have tried the ubuntu group, to no avail.  I had the
> thing working with Red Hat and with Debian.  Perhaps part of the problem is
> that Java has been upgraded.
>
> Perhaps some one could tell me which USB to Serial I should purchase for the
> lappy (My Keyspan is unsupported by ubuntu and  I have searched for a
> chipless one (as suggested) to no avail (I also can not understand how one
> would work (as it must have an address)but I am no expert)).  If they could
> also tell me what to download I could bring it all along to the next meeting.
>
> As an aside both rxtx stuff and sun java are in the repositories.  Indeed I
> got as far as getting a message telling me I should be in group uupc, that
> was it.  (The computer then died (I was in hack mode) allowing me no access
> as root! Luckily it was the play partition of my back up computer.)
>
> In the mean time I will have to use windows, which is a pity as it is on show
> to other club members and will be on show to the public in August at the
> Plymouth show.

Hi Peter

Do you have any way of testing your serial port with some other device
and say a terminal emulator to see what happens?

Do you have any idea of the protocol sent down the port? Could you
send something from a teminal or a couple of lines of C for example to
isolate the java part and the hw part?

Are you sure your serial port is ttyS0 and hasn't for some unknown
reason become ttyS1 etc (swapped in bios etc).

Your USB to serial convertor may be generic. the usbserial.ko module
supports all generic convertors but it dosn't know about them. If you
plug in the device and do a lsusb to find the vendor id and product
id, you can then as root load the usbserial module like so :-

rmmod usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1234 product=0xabcd

where 0x1234 is the vendor number from lsusb and 0xabcd is the product
number from lsusb.

good luck

-
Robin Cornelius