Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

Tom Brough wrote:

> 2. I don't know about your own PC configurations you may well be all
> running open firmwire but for myself and I suspect most of you will be
> running the BIOS supplied by the manufacturer of your motherboard. And
> thus there will ALWAYS be a bit of proprietary software necessary to get
> your favourite distro (no matter how open / proprietary it is) up and
> running. You can shout "Unclean, Unclean ...." at who every you wish,
> but nothing is going to change this fact for quite some time yet.

I own two computers. They both run Open Firmware. I also have a laptop,
IBM ThinkPad, which doesn't. I hope to remedy this.

> 3. This "proprietary firmware" issue is a sham, partly because of what I
> said above, but also because there are important rules that specifically
> apply to WiFi cards, you just can't have people trampling all over radio
> frequencies and there harmonics, there are many important radio
> frequency bands out there, Airline, Police, Ambulance, Marine Coast
> Guard, etc.. etc.. etc... . Thats why we have the FCC and that is why
> manufactures have to put firmware in place (for wifi cards) to ensure
> that they comply with the reglations. If a way can be found to ensure
> that free firmware can meet the same requirement all is well and good.
> BUT I will continue to use proprietary firmware drivers for projects
> that may well mean internet connection for people in developing
> countries who have none at the moment. To sit here and deny that right
> of access to information about education, health, farming practices, and
> a host of other information essential to the growth of developing
> nations simply because a drivers firmware does not meet someones ethical
> standards is just plain UNFAIR. If every distro of linux where to outlaw
> said firmware drivers, I would have to compile my own, time wasted.

Except there are cards that work without proprietary firmware. RA2500
cards, for example.

I don't think every distribution will ever remove all it's proprietary
firmware. That's not what the issue is here, the issue promoting
distributions which promote non-free software software.

matt