Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

Richard Brown wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I just wanted to respond in terms of Neil's post without quoting from it.
>
>Slavery was brought up as an example in an earlier argument. It is
>interesting because a film celebrating the work of Wilberforce is just
>coming out. Wilberforce was a manage with future vision. He wanted to
>change the world now so that those in the future could enjoy freedom.
>I wonder what the cost to him was? I should imagine immense! Ridicule,
>loss of earnings, friendships, fear of injury and probably death
>threats.

Please note that some of the "founding fathers" of America who signed
the declaration of independence where in fact slave traders. In other
words the foundation of  US freedom from the imperial United Kingdom was
built upon a document signed (in part) by slave traders. Its still an
important document, but we should not forget that nothing in human
motivation is perfect. They then had to have a civil war to decide the
issue once and for all, and then ran into all sorts of problems, some of
which have never been adequately resolved.

I believe that Bristol City's economy was kick started by slave traders.
Now its a hive of free wireless network meshes ;-)

Tom.