Re: [LUG] SUSE 10.2 - bit torrents

I personally prefer ktorrent to azureus. It's simpler and I rarely
found it lacking in features. (the lacking feature was rss, but it
seems they've added that in now.) It's  quite light-weight with your
resources compared to other clients, which may be useful on an old
machine. I found it had all the features that mattered,

Azureus is very feature-ful, but I didn't the need for them, so for me
it was bloat which hid the features I wanted (maybe i shouldn't have
gone straight to the advanced mode). Obviously if you have use for
them then that's a different matter. I also found azureus kept
crashing for me, and the fact that it's a java app biases me against
it. Admittedly it hides the javaness well.
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Everybody seems to forget the original bittorrent client (called
"bittorrent" funnily enough). Quite basic, but works well enough. the
website has changed alot since i last went there, so perhaps the
program has too?
http://www.bittorrent.com

You could look at bittornado, which i think is meant to improve on the
old bittorrent. It gives you a download window per torrent instead of
a single window to manage all of your torrents (as with azureus and
ktorrent). It's down to your personal preference which interface you'd
prefer.
http://www.bittornado.com/

Transmission is a light-weight client which looks a bit like the
firefox download window with a few more buttons.
transmission.m0k.org/

If you're into the command line you can use bittornado or transmission
without a gui.

Now I use torrentflux-b4rt. It's a web-based front-end for
bittornado/transmission which I run on a linkstation nas box running
debian. It might be worth considering if you have a few people in your
household using bittorrent, if you're running a server of some sort,
or if you want remote access to your torrent client.
http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/

a quick search of the ubuntu repositories also comes up with rtorrent,
an ncurses-based one and qtorrent, a qt-based one and if you're a
gnome, there's freeloader or gnome-bt-download (this actually uses the
original bittorrent client for the downloading)

all i can find about a python bittorrent client is a variety of
clients written in the python language and some python bindings for
bittorrent libraries.

My favourite out of all of these was ktorrent, but since i have my
linkstation, torrentflux is more useful to me.