[LUG] Wireless laptop in Xandros 3.0.1 OCE [was Re: Julian]

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Saturday 06 January 2007 13:24, Julian Hall wrote:
>

>> Mine has an Atheros chipset - btw I asked a while ago for hints on why
>> the script I have won't run at boot?  I'm using Xandros 3.1 OCE and I've
>> tried to put the script in various places but it will only work if I run
>> it manually.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Julian
>>

> Must have missed that Julian!
No worries Mark :)  The main issue is that Linux won't play with the
onboard cardbus controller by default.  From my Sent Items, last posting
I said this:

To fix cardbus

As root:

cd /etc/pcmcia
vi config.opts
add the lines include port 0x3000-0x7fff, memory 0xe8100000-0xe97fffff
:w and :q to exit
cd /etc/init.d
vi cardbus [to make a new file]
enter the lines -

setpci -s 0:a.0 SUBORDINATE_BUS=0A
cardctl eject
cardctl insert
       - into the new file

save and exit with :w and :q

chmod the new file with

chmod 755 cardbus

make a symlink to the new file with:
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s /etc/init.d/cardbus /etc/rc5.d/S20pcmcia-cardbus

Rebooted.  Now according to what I know, the cardbus card should now
show up in lspci, but it doesn't.  I've also tried making a symlink in
/etc/rc3.d as there is something nagging my head about Debian based
distros using3 instead of 5, but I could be wrong on that... very easily
:)   Wireless does come up if I run the script manually, ie;

cd /etc/init.d
./cardbus

So I know the script itself is correct.

Have I missed a step somewhere?

End Quote.

Since this I have tried adding symlinks to rc1.d, rc2.d. rc3.d and rc4.d
in order (not at the same time of course!)  IIRC currently it's in rc3.d
and it *sort of works* but there is no internet access.  I'll post more
tomorrow after I dig the laptop out and have a bash (no pun intended).

Kind regards,

Julian