Re: [LUG] Wireless laptop in Xandros 3.0.1 OCE [was Re: Julian]

On Saturday 06 January 2007 23:37, Julian Hall wrote:

> To fix cardbus
>
> As root:
>
> cd /etc/pcmcia
> vi config.opts
> add the lines include port 0x3000-0x7fff, memory 0xe8100000-0xe97fffff
>
> :w and :q to exit
>
> cd /etc/init.d
> vi cardbus [to make a new file]
> enter the lines -
>
> setpci -s 0:a.0 SUBORDINATE_BUS=0A
> cardctl eject
> cardctl insert
>        - into the new file
>
> save and exit with :w and :q
>
> chmod the new file with
>
> chmod 755 cardbus
>
> make a symlink to the new file with:
> cd /etc/rc5.d
> ln -s /etc/init.d/cardbus /etc/rc5.d/S20pcmcia-cardbus
>
> Rebooted.  Now according to what I know, the cardbus card should now
> show up in lspci, but it doesn't.  I've also tried making a symlink in
> /etc/rc3.d as there is something nagging my head about Debian based
> distros using3 instead of 5, but I could be wrong on that... very easily
>
> :)   Wireless does come up if I run the script manually, ie;
>
> cd /etc/init.d
> ./cardbus
>
> So I know the script itself is correct.
>
> Have I missed a step somewhere?
>
> End Quote.
>
> Since this I have tried adding symlinks to rc1.d, rc2.d. rc3.d and rc4.d
> in order (not at the same time of course!)  IIRC currently it's in rc3.d
> and it *sort of works* but there is no internet access.  I'll post more
> tomorrow after I dig the laptop out and have a bash (no pun intended).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Yep, Debian based systems generally use runlevel 2 or 3 as the gui rather than
5, but if it fails to work regardless, then something is amiss still.
I would copy the file to rc2.d and rc3.d (it won't hurt to copy to both) and
ensure they are executable. Xandros is a distro I have not used, so I have
little idea how they arrange things :(    Certainly seems odd that it works
when called manually, but not via the boot up. Does dmesg show the Atheros
modules loading or any other clues?

Mark