Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux (2)

Mark Jose wrote:
> Debateable. I have lots - but I - and many other "geeks" tend to have more
> computers than the norm! But even at the local college, many of the students
> on the computing courses have only one computer - and no network.
> Linux is a lot easier from a networking point of view than Windows in my view.
> It is also designed as a networking system - unlike Windows.

I have one desktop and two laptops.  By default a 'network' because I
can connect to them all, however I seem to be that rare beast 'a techie'
without several machines in various states of repair :)
> Cameras, mp3 players, card readers and most other USB products are simply plug
> and go in Linux.
A case in point - my Nokia 6233.  I got the Windows install software
with it.  Windows won't see it despite using the official Nokia
software.  Linux sees it without *any* additional software as an
external USB drive.

Linux 1 : 0 Windows
> The problem with some of the other things - like scanners for example, is lack
> of information from the manufacturers. If we don't have either a "driver" or
> specifications from the manufacturer, someone has to work it out the hard
> way.

If the manufacturer cooperates.  Who remembers the hell I had before
dumping my Pinnacle card because they changed the onboard chip and
refuse to give out details of the new one?
> Some organisers - e.g Palms, work. Some phones do too - my motorola for
> example, but the same applies - do the manufacturers support Linux? If so, it
> will work, if not, it needs a bit of research before buying.

Also how popular is it?  My old mobile was a Sagem and just would NOT
play with Linux (or Windows TBPH).  My new one as above is a Nokia and
as a major phone brand there is a stack of software available for it.
> Depending on the make, wireless can be easy or a pain. My rt2500 based chipset
> works perfectly - better than the same card in Windows,
Mine has an Atheros chipset - btw I asked a while ago for hints on why
the script I have won't run at boot?  I'm using Xandros 3.1 OCE and I've
tried to put the script in various places but it will only work if I run
it manually.

Kind regards,

Julian