[LUG] Julian - was Re: Newcomers to Linux (2)

On Saturday 06 January 2007 13:24, Julian Hall wrote:

> Mine has an Atheros chipset - btw I asked a while ago for hints on why
> the script I have won't run at boot?  I'm using Xandros 3.1 OCE and I've
> tried to put the script in various places but it will only work if I run
> it manually.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Must have missed that Julian!  Do you know which runlevel is the GUI one for
Xandros? In Debian based systems, it tends to be 2, whilst in RedHat
derivatives such as mandriva, it is 5.
Once you know that, I would expect copying your script to /etc/rdX.d (where X
is the GUI runlevel) and renaming it S99wireless for example would work - you
would need to make it executable with chmod a+x . The idea there is that as
the system loads, it enters into the state where it loads the stuff for your
gui. It goes to rcX.d and runs the scripts there beginning with S - so it
should theoretically load your wireless and all will be well!  In theory of
course ;)
I had a similar issue testing out the OLPC gui, Sugar. Because it is designed
to run on the OLPC hardware, the software is a little flakey in an emulator.
Specifically, in my case, it fails to allow control of the mouse/keyboard
when the gui boots. So, under qemu, that is easy enough - pressing ctrl+alt+1
(or 3 - can't remember which is gui and which is command line), gives a
command prompt - much the same as ctrl+alt+f1 in your usual distro will.
Then I can modprobe the relevant module which is missing and all will work.
In VMWare, that doesn't work. I could not get the command line to work at all.
But - the VMWare Sugar image I use is created from the qemu one. So, I
modified the qemu image by adding a script to modrpobe the module in the same
way as I mentioned above, then re-created the vmware image and it works.
Not sure why I created the vmware version - purely to test it I guess, there
seems little difference in speed between the two methods of running
Sugar -maybe a slight speed increase in vmware, but nothing great.

Mark