Re: [LUG] OS Architecture

Quoting Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Registry updates don't require a reboot.
>>
>> Reboots are usually from issues with file locking, which Microsoft does
>> in a very single user operating system fashion.
>>
>> Reboots are also sometimes required to load kernel components, or key
>> libraries (Both on Windows and GNU/Linux).
> On Windows reboots are needed to unblock memory nadged by Windows not
> closing programs properly leading to slower and slower performance over
> time.  A friend of mine manages to sometimes squeeze two days uptime out
> of his Windows box before it is so slow it is virtually inoperable.  I
> can't remember which file it is but there is one that contains details
> of open programs (or file handles or something).  Problem is, max size
> is 128k (improved on the 64k for '98) and doesn't get entries deleted
> when files are closed.  Over time it fills up pretty quickly.  That's an
> admittedly low-tech explanation mainly because I can't remember the
> technicalities.

Thats funny, I can manage going without a reboot on my Windows Desktop
for days on end.  We have one Win2k machine at work which is never
rebooted, in fact the last reboot it had was because we fitted another
hard drive.

Our ageing servers have an occasional reboot, usually due to a network
error causing the Netware Services Gateway to loose the connection to
the Netware server.  Our Torquay server had been happily running since
mid August until yesterday when we shut it down to move it in readyness
for a new server install.  Before that it's last reboot in August was
due to a hardware upgrade I tried to perform.

Our Netware servers rarely need a reboot.  IIRC one of our Netware
servers had a reboot a month or two ago by accident when my boss pulled
the power out on the wrong system! :-P

Since having a reinstall our wiki/fax server has been running without a
glitch for the past 2 months.  I'm hoping it won't accidently be turned
off so I can get a year or more uptime out of it.

Rob