Re: [LUG] OS Architecture

Simon Waters wrote:
>>> Coupled with the need to reboot to update your registry.
>>>

> Registry updates don't require a reboot.
>
> Reboots are usually from issues with file locking, which Microsoft does
> in a very single user operating system fashion.
>
> Reboots are also sometimes required to load kernel components, or key
> libraries (Both on Windows and GNU/Linux).
On Windows reboots are needed to unblock memory nadged by Windows not
closing programs properly leading to slower and slower performance over
time.  A friend of mine manages to sometimes squeeze two days uptime out
of his Windows box before it is so slow it is virtually inoperable.  I
can't remember which file it is but there is one that contains details
of open programs (or file handles or something).  Problem is, max size
is 128k (improved on the 64k for '98) and doesn't get entries deleted
when files are closed.  Over time it fills up pretty quickly.  That's an
admittedly low-tech explanation mainly because I can't remember the
technicalities.

Kind regards,

Julian