Re: [LUG] BBC news clip - I thought it may be of interest ?

Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 15/11/06, *paul sutton* <zleap@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:zleap@xxxxxxxxx>>
> wrote:
>

>     Problem is with this is support,   colleges still teach windows
>     because
>     they use the industry standard argument,  if you start shipping Linux
>     then your entire tech department will need training in fixing Linux
>     problems,   with windows it's simpler,  click start,  control panel
>     etc,  with Linux as you know it's not that simple,  what window
>     manager
>     are you using,  you need to be root for this,   etc etc.   I am
>     currently doing a course on Linux with manpower it's looking at the
>     shell, environment and there are lots of commands just to
>     manipulate the
>     history,
>

> It's much easier for a sysadmin to fix a fudged Linux machine, mainly
> because of its config-file-based nature. Remote Desktop is a big fat
> ugly pig of an application, but with Linux you can SSH into any
> machine and edit its configuration files transparently, without
> bothering the user or indeed trying to navigate around their
> incompetencies.

Thats true.  I was trying to do a job this evening for someone at work
out of hours.  I had to use Terminal Services on the server as our usual
remote control software wouldn't work and I can't ssh to the server.
Would have been much easier if it was a job to do on my Linux box at work.

Rob