Re: [LUG] Impressive AMD 64 Etch install

Yesterday I decided to replace Kubuntu 64 with the weekly Etch AMD 64 snapshot
web install.  Very impressed with the simplified, fast install, only 3 or
4
basic questions and that was it, apart from partitioning.  Having retained the
original Kubuntu partitions, formatting all but /home, it was a disappointment
to find that the default desktop is Gnome.  However, the resultant KDE desktop
and applications, once downloaded using Synaptic, displayed perfectly using
my original Kubuntu settings.   Perhaps one is given the choice of Gnome
v KDE if the <expert> install is selected.
Etch boots up and closes down smoothly and speedily and as a user in simple
desktop mode, I can but only congratulate the Debian team for the excellent
job they have made of Etch so far.  Sound, graphics and CUPS worked out
of the box - unlike Sarge.
If you can install K/Ubuntu - you can install Etch :)
--
W. Devon
Oh....I am working on a Sarge install right this minute.... mostly as I