Re: [LUG] BBC news clip - I thought it may be of interest ?

On 15/11/06, paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Problem is with this is support,   colleges still teach windows because
they use the industry standard argument,  if you start shipping Linux
then your entire tech department will need training in fixing Linux
problems,   with windows it's simpler,  click start,  control panel
etc,  with Linux as you know it's not that simple,  what window manager
are you using,  you need to be root for this,   etc etc.   I am
currently doing a course on Linux with manpower it's looking at the
shell, environment and there are lots of commands just to manipulate the
history,

It's much easier for a sysadmin to fix a fudged Linux machine, mainly because of its config-file-based nature. Remote Desktop is a big fat ugly pig of an application, but with Linux you can SSH into any machine and edit its configuration files transparently, without bothering the user or indeed trying to navigate around their incompetencies.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382