Re: [LUG] Servers and Proximity Virus

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>
>> Secondly, servers! I spent a little bit of time with Neil and get some
>> questions answered which then brings another four hundred that need
>> answering! I have to build a server for someone with about 8 computers!
>> I am looking at using either Pentium 4s or Amd 64s and possibly rack
>> mounting them. However, I discovered to rack mount you need adequate
>> cooling or stick them in 4u cases. Then I discovered Xeons and
>> opterons! Is it necessary to buy server chips or can I run an 8 user
>> network with p4s and amd 64s please? Rack mounted stuff simply saves
>> space - is there any other benefits please?
>
> Are you just file serving to windows clients? or what.  8 Client PC's
> is not a lot I have double that here and only have an AMD duron
> running at 1.1GHz and only 128Mb ram (which is a bit low for me). This
> does the file serving via samba, handles dovecot for IMAP mail,
> incoming mail filtering and hosts internal company databases and
> intranet.
>
> If you are serving windows then look for info/books on samba, there
> are loads of free online resources and i think the samba guys make
> stuff available on line or for purchase hardcopy as a book.
>
> Memory is important especially for databases etc having enough free
> mem to avoid swapping is desirable and easily achieve able these days.
>
> No specific advantages to rack mounts, they might be a bit more
> robust, and have dust filters etc but they do look the business and
> give a professional image which is important to middle management who
> don't understand the technical details :-)
>
> As this is a file server have you considered a data backup plan?

The fileserver here is a 3Ghz P4, with 2gb memory with raid 1
harddrives.  It is not rackmounted but sits happily in a tower case.  It
is supporting 4 Win Pcs, 4 Macs and 1 Linux machine.  It has run without
a hiccup since installation.

We use samba, from the default Cent OS 4.4 install.  Tbh it is a bit of
a pain to get set up working exactly as wanted.  Basically, it was a bit
of trial and error - particularly to get certain shares only available
to certain people.  It was a while back but I recall that "Home"
versions of win xp, wouldn't allow you to have a different user name to
log onto the share from the one you login windows with.  Or at least
would but would never remember it.

But apart for that I found the standard documentation quite useful,
particularly if you start with one of their config files and modify it
to your needs.

There were also a few problems with dropped connections, I believe due
to a poor dhcp / dns setup (particularly reverse look ups).  They seemed
to have gone away, no idea why.

Weirdly, the mac os x machines didn't play as nicely as the windows
machines.

As well as serving files, it runs a wiki, svn,  and a slave backup
database.

I am intrigued as to what people think for a backup solution.  I
couldn't find one that matched these three criteria 1) Reliable 2)
Practical 3) Cheap