Re: [LUG] Servers and Proximity Virus

On 10/23/06, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guys

> Secondly, servers! I spent a little bit of time with Neil and get some
> questions answered which then brings another four hundred that need
> answering! I have to build a server for someone with about 8 computers!
> I am looking at using either Pentium 4s or Amd 64s and possibly rack
> mounting them. However, I discovered to rack mount you need adequate
> cooling or stick them in 4u cases. Then I discovered Xeons and
> opterons! Is it necessary to buy server chips or can I run an 8 user
> network with p4s and amd 64s please? Rack mounted stuff simply saves
> space - is there any other benefits please?

Are you just file serving to windows clients? or what.  8 Client PC's
is not a lot I have double that here and only have an AMD duron
running at 1.1GHz and only 128Mb ram (which is a bit low for me). This
does the file serving via samba, handles dovecot for IMAP mail,
incoming mail filtering and hosts internal company databases and
intranet.

If you are serving windows then look for info/books on samba, there
are loads of free online resources and i think the samba guys make
stuff available on line or for purchase hardcopy as a book.

Memory is important especially for databases etc having enough free
mem to avoid swapping is desirable and easily achieve able these days.

No specific advantages to rack mounts, they might be a bit more
robust, and have dust filters etc but they do look the business and
give a professional image which is important to middle management who
don't understand the technical details :-)

As this is a file server have you considered a data backup plan?

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk