Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

On 10/23/06, Tony Sumner <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I learned that linux-wlan-ng is obsolete and the only reason for its
> continued existence is that it supports USB devices with the prism2
> chipset.  That's true; I've been using it in Red Hat for ages. It's
> obviously a waste of time to go on trying to get this to work in
> Debian when for a small sum I can get a PCI wireless card and use the
> built-in driver.

Dosn't mean the prism2 drivers are though, have they/are they being
updated to work with standard wireless tools. The wlan-ng stuff was
only a alternative API to the wireless tools to allow userspace to
send appropriate parameters to prism2 cards as they needed loads of
things that wireless tools just did not support. Now wireless tools
have moved on and with wpa_supplicant, hostapd etc I think everything
is supported and I would have through updating the prism2 drivers to
wireless tools would be the way to go?

But there is also the whole Intel/dscape 80211 stack fun still going
on so wireless is still  a bit of a mess.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk