Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

On Oct 21, 2006, Simon Waters was like:

> Well try the Etch route -- it does say you need some extra kernel
> modules or something

I installed etch and it is very nice -- except that it won't apt-get KDE
which is disappointing but maybe it will one day. linux-wlan-ng is in the
package list and apt-get got it. The documentation says use m-a for the
modules but there are no modules. They should be in linux-wlan-ng-modules
but that is not in the list. The only place I've found them is in Gentoo
and I don't want to go there.

I learned that linux-wlan-ng is obsolete and the only reason for its
continued existence is that it supports USB devices with the prism2
chipset.  That's true; I've been using it in Red Hat for ages. It's
obviously a waste of time to go on trying to get this to work in
Debian when for a small sum I can get a PCI wireless card and use the
built-in driver.

Thanks for all your advice.

Tony Sumner

in the documentation -- but at least it is