[LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

I've enjoyed the correspondence about distros. Ever since the Debian
masterclass in Exeter in December 2004 I have thought that Debian is
the way to go but it is not that easy to go there. I built a new
desktop around an Athlon 64 and a couple of Sata disks, installed
Debian sarge on it and all I need now is a wireless connection. For my
favourite driver, linux-wlan-ng, I need to configure a kernel. I got
the source file kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2 (2.6.8 is the installed
kernel), configured and compiled it and it fails to load with messages
like 'can't load root fs in block (0,0)' followed by a kernel
panic. The kernel documentation has some tale about mkinitrd and
cramfs which I don't understand but the upshot is that I should apply
a patch to the source and this is where it gets hard. I should say I
have compiled a kernel lots of times before in Red Hat with not more
than the usual amount of difficulty but Debian is different. I have
these files:

  kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2             the one I've been using
  kernel-source-2.6.8_2.6.8-16sarge5_all.deb
  kernel-patch-debian-2.6.8_2.6.8-16sarge5_all.deb
  kernel-source-2.6.8_2.6.8-16sarge5.diff

the diff file says don't patch with this -- but it does include some
stuff about initrd. It says older versions of mkinitrd may not
recognize .ko modules; should I update mkinitrd? Why should mkinitrd
be obsolete in the official source file?  Has the diff file been
applied already? Does that mean I would be ok if I start with the file
k-s-*sarge5_all.deb rather than the bz2 file I have been working with?
And what is the kernel-patch-debian file for? Do I apply this or not?

I am sorry I am so ignorant.but I would really like to get this working.

Tony Sumner