Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

Tony Sumner wrote:

> Debian sarge on it and all I need now is a wireless connection.

For a desktop I'd probably do Etch.

I have Sarge as a desktop at work, and even there I'm planning an Etch
upgrade (although I want to document it thoroughly, as I'll use it to
figure out how to cope with the few third party backports we use (PHP5,
and MySQL mainly).

Certainly with Etch/Sid, I'd expect to do wlan-ng using module-assistant
and the source package already in Debian. Although I've not tried it,
not on an Athlon 64, does this approach not work, or do you need
something extra still?

When I've needed to build Debian kernels (not very often), I've usually
used the latest stock 2.6 kernel, and the "kernel-package" package.
Rather than the Debian sources, or Debian patches. But again something
you probably want to be in Etch for these days, as I've hit toolchain
issues with Sarge and recent kernels. I haven't come unstuck yet, but it
is possible a desktop places more demands on the kernel (all that
hotswapping, and such), again a good reason to be more recent than Sarge.