Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

Tony Sumner wrote:

> I didn't try it because the source package is not in Debian stable. It
> migrated to testing in Feb 2006 but I didn't know that. The standard
> method needs a kernel source tree and anyway I think it would be useful
> to be able to compile a custom kernel and unless I can find out about
> mkinitrd I can't do it.

Well try the Etch route -- it does say you need some extra kernel
modules or something in the documentation -- but at least it is
documented. So you can reasonably expect that route worked at least
once, on x86 ;)

I think with kernel-package the use of initrd is an option to the
command to build the kernel package (make-kpkg). But usually when I try
and get clever with make-kpkg command I end up with a kernel package
that either won't install, or won't boot after it installs. Debian tries
its best to sweep a lot of complexity under the carpet of one command,
and usually succeeds.