Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

Tony Sumner wrote:

> the diff file says don't patch with this -- but it does include some
> stuff about initrd. It says older versions of mkinitrd may not
> recognize .ko modules; should I update mkinitrd? Why should mkinitrd
> be obsolete in the official source file?  Has the diff file been
> applied already? Does that mean I would be ok if I start with the file
> k-s-*sarge5_all.deb rather than the bz2 file I have been working with?
> And what is the kernel-patch-debian file for? Do I apply this or not?
>
> I am sorry I am so ignorant.but I would really like to get this working.

Hi Tony,

Hope i haven't missed the point but I rarely use debian kernels (mainly
because i often need *very* new kernels, even GIT at times). I just grab
a stock kernel from kernel.org unpack the archive then (this is the
important bit)

copy the /boot/config-2.6.8  (or what ever is your latest version) to
the kernel source directory as .config then run

make oldconfig

you will get asked all the questions that have been added since the
config you copied across. In general having (new) things as modules
dosn't hurt and they are there if needed other questions just use your
gut instinct! you can get more info with ?

then just make bzImage && make modules && make install && make
modules_install

the kernel make expects to find grub and will add its self to the list
if found

then you need to make an initfs with

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.XYZ

where XYZ is the version of the kernel you are using

finally edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and edit the entry for your new kernel
to have an initrd pointed at the file above with the line

initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.XYZ

then just reboot and enjoy

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk