Re: [LUG] Databases again

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:25:58 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It may be that you started it as the wrong user first time.

See below.

> If it is using "/root/tmp" (or "/root") something is hideously wrong.
>
> But hard to advise as I don't use Mandriva -- the distro I uses installs
> MySQL and starts it, and gets the permissions right first time, when
> asked to -- but it may not be Mandrivas fault, it could be you broke
> something.
>
> Suggest you get a test box, install Mandriva from scratch, and stick
> MySQL in straight away before changing anything, see if that works a tad
> better, and might shed some light on what went wrong (or if the package
> is indeed broken).

As I said, in Mandriva there is a 'Configure your computer' icon on the
desktop. Click that and you need to input the root password. Then,
under Software there is a choice 'Look at installable software and
install software packages.' Choose that and you get a list of all the
available packages for you to install. There is a search box and if you
input 'mysql' and click on search you get a list of all packages which
contain 'mysql' in the name.

Choose one and click on install and if necessary it will tell you if
you need to include any other packages too. Either way, click on OK and
the package(s) is/are installed for you, using urpmi I suppose. This is
all done automatically, and I have no choice about how or where
the packages are installed. I just have to accept that all is done
correctly.

Anyway, that is how I did it. I did not download a program from the
internet and then install it myself. If I tried a test box as suggested
it would all be done the same way as above, so I presume the result
would be the same.

The program seems to run just fine. Looking at folder /root, it is a
locked folder, so mysql running as an ordinary user couldn't use it
anyway, so I expect I got that bit wrong.

Thanks

Neil winchurst