Re: [LUG] Databases again

Neil Williams wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> I tried, both as root and as normal user. It still comes back with the
>>> error message about being unable to connect to the socket.
>>> [root@localhost neil]# /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server start &
>>> Starting MySQL Server                                           [[1]
>
> Wrong location in most cases. Best to start from /etc/init.d/
>
> # /etc/init.d/mysql start

If /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server is the correct script for starting
mysql, it really shouldn't matter what it's called or where it's run
from.  The fact that mysql is logging errors about the hosts.MYI file
(iirc) suggest to me that the daemon is starting fine, but it either
doesn't have suitable access rights for the database directories or,
for some reason, it's looking in entirely the wrong place for them.

I'd guess mysql.server runs mysqld_safe somewhere along the line, so
doing something like:

  sh -x /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server start

might be useful, to check it's not setting a bespoke value for
datadir.

It really shouldn't be this hard, though.  It's been years since
MySQL didn't "just work" straight out of the box.  The only problems
I've had with getting it running in the last three or four years is
where I've been running two completely separate instances of the server
side-by-side.  I can't help wondering if Mandriva doesn't do something
odd with the installation, though doubtless the actual reason will turn
out to be something simple and blindingly obvious.

James