Re: [LUG] Databases again

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:14:44 +0100
Paul Weaver <iso@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You do have a mysql user on your machine don't you? Genrally it's not a
> good idea to run things like mysql as root, as a buffer overflow or
> similar will give a hacker root access.

Yes, indeed. It is quite a long time since I last used mysql, so I am
taking some time to get back into the swing of it all. I must look out
my old book on it.

Once I have the server running I log back to my normal user and work
from there. I never run anything as root except for the odd time, such
as chmod, when I need to be root. Then I run the command and exit back
to neil immediately.

Regards

Neil Winchurst