Re: [LUG] Databases again

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> It seems strange to me that mysql should set itself
> up needing to use certain folders and files and yet not have the
> permissions set up accordingly.

It may be that you started it as the wrong user first time.

If it is using "/root/tmp" (or "/root") something is hideously wrong.

But hard to advise as I don't use Mandriva -- the distro I uses installs
MySQL and starts it, and gets the permissions right first time, when
asked to -- but it may not be Mandrivas fault, it could be you broke
something.

Suggest you get a test box, install Mandriva from scratch, and stick
MySQL in straight away before changing anything, see if that works a tad
better, and might shed some light on what went wrong (or if the package
is indeed broken).