Re: [LUG] Databases again

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:37:14 +0100
James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It really shouldn't be this hard, though.  It's been years since
> MySQL didn't "just work" straight out of the box.  The only problems
> I've had with getting it running in the last three or four years is
> where I've been running two completely separate instances of the server
> side-by-side.  I can't help wondering if Mandriva doesn't do something
> odd with the installation, though doubtless the actual reason will turn
> out to be something simple and blindingly obvious.
>
> James

Well now, I had a  good play around yesterday, Sunday, trying all sorts
of things, and nothing seemed to work. This morning, just for the devil
of it, I tried 'mysql' as a command and would you believe it, it started
just fine.

I have now found out that I was following the user manual and entering
mysqld_safe --user=mysql & (as root) and this did not work. Yesterday I
must have done something that worked and this morning the server was
still running.

Some research has shown me that, as root, I just enter
mysqld_safe & and away she goes. I must not include the bit about user
and mysql. To stop the server I use 'mysqldadmin shutdown' (as root).
Now I can play a bit.

Computers, don't you just love them???

Neil Winchurst