Re: [LUG] Databases again

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:39:51 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:04:03 +0100
> > Mark Harvey <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > This is probably part of my problem, there is no my.cnf file anywhere
> > on my computer, so nothing to tell mysql about where to set up a socket
> > file.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/mysqld  ?

No such folder/file on my computer

> Looks like Mandriva disables networking by default (well so the comments
> in the MySQL reference manual suggest).
>
> >>If you can't get that to work, what about downloading and installing the
> >>latest version (5.0) from the MySQL.com website:
> >>http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
> >>

> > I will think about that.
>
> Please no -- if you can't get the packaged version to work, you'll just
> beat yourself over the head with source code.
>
> I would stick with the official packaged version of MySQL, and kick Club
> Mandriva for an explanation, if it doesn work out of the box. I'm
> guessing you've installed the wrong packages.
>
> If all else fails uninstall MySQL and install it again, then read the
> documentation ;)

I installed using the 'configure your computer' facility in Mandriva,
so it should have been a suitable package.

Anyway, I have now looked at localhost.err in /var/lib/mysql and here is
the last bit

060621 16:23:46  mysqld started
060621 16:23:48  InnoDB: Started
060621 16:23:48 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't open file: 'host.MYI'. (errno:
142) 060621 16:23:48 Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: File
'/usr/share/mysql/charsets/?.conf' not found (Errcode: 2) 060621
16:23:48 Aborting

060621 16:23:48  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
060621 16:23:51  InnoDB: Shutdown completed
060621 16:23:51 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

060621 16:23:51  mysqld ended

So I obviously have problems.

Neil Winchurst