Re: [LUG] Databases again

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:04:03 +0100
> Mark Harvey <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>I remember I had trouble with the socket file on Mandriva 2005.
>>
>>I was able to resolve it using the method here:
>>http://www.tech-recipes.com/mysql_tips762.html
>>
>>on my installation my.cnf is in /etc/my.cnf
>>

> This is probably part of my problem, there is no my.cnf file anywhere
> on my computer, so nothing to tell mysql about where to set up a socket
> file.

/etc/sysconfig/mysqld  ?

Looks like Mandriva disables networking by default (well so the comments
in the MySQL reference manual suggest).

>>If you can't get that to work, what about downloading and installing the
>>latest version (5.0) from the MySQL.com website:
>>http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
>>

> I will think about that.

Please no -- if you can't get the packaged version to work, you'll just
beat yourself over the head with source code.

I would stick with the official packaged version of MySQL, and kick Club
Mandriva for an explanation, if it doesn work out of the box. I'm
guessing you've installed the wrong packages.

If all else fails uninstall MySQL and install it again, then read the
documentation ;)