[LUG] SUSE 10.1 Rocks but Windows gone

Hi All,

I have just installed SUSE 10.1 OSS in order to dual boot with Windows XP.

XP is on the first partition and SUSE installed onto free space which I made
available on the same drive.

All went well or so I thought until I discovered that the Windows entry on
the SUSE (GRUB) boot menu does not load Windows. It just sits there with the
message "chainloader hd(0,0)+1" and does not go any further.

I love SUSE 10.1 and everything works so I do not want to remove it.
Therefore I have installed GRUB to a floppy disk so that I can boot SUSE in
the future and tried to remove GRUB from the MBR in order to restore the
windows boot process.

I tried to remove GRUB by booting from the XP CD, entering recovery console
and performing the classic FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. But whatever I do GRUB will
not remove itself from the MBR.
I have also tried FDISK /MBR from a Windows 98 Boot CD.

This has always worked like a charm in the past. Where else could GRUB have
put itself? and how can I remove it using tools within SUSE.

Can anyone offer a suggestion. Sorry for the long ramble.

Many thanks in advance.

Phil.