Re: [LUG] Native linux image creation software

On 04/05/06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Goodger wrote:

> I just hope that Xara open-sources the rest of it as soon as they can
> -- the functionality of Xara X was utterly brilliant and I think it
> will surpass Inkscape which is really moving far too slowly of late.

Xara LX is licenced under GNU GPL.

They expect contributors to waive some rights, so they can incorporate
those versions into proprietary products of their own, which will
include the Windows version which will continue to include non-free
plugins from third parties anyway.

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

At least thats how I understand it.

As far as I know (directly basing this on LXF's recent coverage of the little conference-thingy) Xara X is mainly GPL at the moment, but many features depending on proprietary code not in the main subset ( i.e. Microsoft can't just go ahead and open-source Windows, there's too much third-party rubbish on it) are not yet available, and have to be reimplemented or we will have to wait and see whether Xara will GPL it.

The image should be up now; I have a Viking router, alias Bt Voyager. Server is coming soon.

I didn't intend to offend any Inkscape zealots/fans/whateverisms, but the fact remains that although it's a hyper-advanced program it needs to get a move on with implementing the entire SVG standard (effects, animation, server-fetchage) before it gets itself bogged down in boring details like what they're currently working on (they're doing filters for SoC -- hooray for Gug'l), i.e. extensions, scripts which use up a ton of space and power to duplicate filters, import/export, etc (even those features are unlikely to be present for at least a year depending on whether they start competing with Xara LX.)

--
Ben Goodger
#391382