Re: [LUG] sata woes

Quoting Steve Marvell <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Julian Hall wrote:

I'd strongly suggest 1 or 2Gb.  If you keep it to two equal sticks of
RAM you can run the box in dual channel mode and get more bang

Makes sense.

once you have the CPU/Mobo sorted out you can

OK, how do I choose amother board. I presume that I need some SATA
compatibility. I also need the ability to switch off the on board
stuff if I get anotehr graphics card, say, or is that no longer a
problem? I'd like it for a MIDI tower, rather that a monster tower. I
want it for AMD64. Where do I look?

Just about every AMD64 motherboard these days somes with SATA on board, usually with 2 SATA ports, but in some cases, 4 or more. Decent spec motherboards don't usually have onboard graphics.

You should find that if you get an ATX size board you should get a decent set of features such as multiple USB2 & SATA ports, probably 2 IDE ports too.

Thought about using caddies?

I have no idea what a caddy is :)

A caddy is a unit that slots into the front of the PC. You can put a hard drive in a caddy and it makes it easy to remove the hard drives and swap them for other drives without taking the whole PC apart.

If you want to be able to remove the drives (say for running multiple operating systems on multiple drives) which would be a handy option.

Otherwise, if you just want to run the one OS, or dual boot them then it might not be worth the extra cost.

Rob