Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux Promotion & Meeting - room hire rates

Paul Sutton wrote:

(Tom probably knows more about car park charges)........

Paul

I wouldnt count on it :-)
Don't even get staff discounts on anything (worth while) :-(

Mind you I dont think any of TC's venues are geared for WiFi / Internet access. The leisure centre would be a better bet. @ £16.00 / hour its going to be pricey. I think we need to know what we intend to do on the day beyond basic advocacy. I would like to see us attracting people who are not technology focused, that is to say people who are not die-hard linux users / developers / admins like ourselves. Emphasis should be on fun and community. Unfortunately because of the labeling and branding that goes on in the free software / open source community, I just dont think the message is getting out beyond the inner circle. Some maybe content with this status quo but personally I feel that everyone has a right to know that they at least have a choice other than proprietary software (even if they dont feel comfortable with choosing it).

If we are going to give our event a title I would like to call it the "community software event" or something like it. Unfortunately the term "free software" gets translated by the masses as cheap instead of freedom, and the term open source is just a commercial term that means anything from free to highly restricted commercial licensed software.

I have serious problems trying to explain the concept of free(dom) software, its easy to get bogged down in the different flavors, which puts people off rapidly. Of course the easy solution is to say install debian and you will never need to worry about GPL compliance, but debian isnt to everyone's taste.

These of course are just my views....

Tom.