Re: [LUG] Using apt through a proxy?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:20:42 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> >
> > Thanks!  I've not read that howto yet, but from the title... I can
> > already browse the web by setting the proxy information in the
> > browser itself.  It works fine, it's just using apt (and other
> > command-line based tools).
>
> In that case the http_proxy variable will sort most applications.
>
> export http_proxy=http://proxy.example.com:3128
>

> Apt will usually store proxy settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf, it stores
> those used during installation in there by default.
>
> Not sure of hand the support ways to alter apt.conf (apt-config isn't
> friendly enough), but vi works ;)
>
> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
> Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy.example.com:3128";;
>
> The document was for those cases where only IEs authentication method is
> permitted.

You see, that's what's confusing me.  I can set the proxy information in Firefox
(I've not tried with other browsers yet) and it works.  Setting the environment
variable *should* then work, but it doesn't.  Even when I set it with the full
details (username:password@proxy:port) it won't work.  I get responses back from the
ISA server that amount to an authentication error... arghg!  I will try the ntlmaps
thingy next time I'm in College... thankfully it's in the Debian Testing repository
:D

Grant.